Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Fanfares & Commissions

FANFARE MAGAZINE
This bimonthly periodical focuses on reviews of classical and new music repertoire. The latest issue is Volume 30, #3 so I'm guessing the magazine has been going strong for over 30 years which is truly impressive in this day and age. For more information about their most recent tome (the current issue is 352 pages long), click here.

THE COMMISSION PROJECT
While I was at Eastman last week, I ended up doing a fair amount of waiting. It was no one's fault. It happens when you go to a foreign place for one reason alone. Everyone else is having to worry about food on the table, getting from point A to B, taking care of family and friends, etc. I just had to worry about the seminars and masterclasses I was teaching. No big deal.

Anyway, in my waiting state I read a good deal. One of the magazines I picked up was the arts and cultural council magazine for the Greater Rochester area called the metropolitan. I read about a program called The Commission Project. They specialize in placing composers in public school classrooms for workshops and composer-in-residence programs. This concept is not new, but it has served as a wonderful vehicle for incredible artists like Ron Carter, Wynton Marsalis, Max Roach, and Libby Larsen a point of entry to students living in over thirty-five cities including Chicago, Birmingham, New York, and Vancouver. Check out their web site for more information.

No comments: